June 4-14, 2014, Chattanooga, Tennessee
& January 6-16, 2015, Memphis, Tennessee
This six-credit certificate is designed for Cumberland Presbyterian ministers and lay leaders who desire to gain increased knowledge of Cumberland Presbyterian history, theology, and polity; learn the skills, knowledge and experience to teach CP heritage to others, and wish to be equipped to preserve and strengthen the distinctive CP presence in an increasingly multi-faith world. The program’s focus will be the serving of the entire, global, CP Church and the CPCA. Persons who participate in this certificate program will develop both a theological perspective and skills to become effective leaders at the local, Presbytery and General Assembly levels.
Students from Each Presbytery
This certificate program envisions the training of at least one person from each presbytery in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America. After receiving the training, the individual will have the expertise to teach others in the presbytery. Each presbytery is urged to consider sending at least one leader to participate in the program.
- Utilizing the cohort learning model, 25-30 students complete the program together in one year.
- The teaching style will be interactive rather than straight lectures, more pragmatic rather than purely academic.
- Practitioners from across the world Cumberland Presbyterian family will develop a learning community in which they can learn from each other’s wealth of experience.
- Module One (June 4-14, 2014, Chattanooga, TN)
In this module, students will focus on the historical development of the Cumberland Presbyterian Churches, dating from their origins to the present. The module will also focus on the beliefs and doctrine of the denominations. Also, this module will focus on the organization, government and administration of the Cumberland Presbyterian Churches at all levels of the church with a particular focus on its constitution, rules of discipline, rules of order, directory for worship, Digest and other resources.
- Module Two (January 6-16, 2015, Memphis, TN)
In this module, students will focus on an advanced study of Cumberland Presbyterian Polity, leadership development, and the program agencies of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
- Students in the program will invest approximately 110 hours of work in addition to the two intensives. Following each module, students will have final projects. Readings from one’s home location will be required during the interim between the two modules.
- Tuition is $1,000 for the program.
- Travel, food and lodging costs will be required for each of the modules (10 days each).
- Complete application online
December 1, 2013 – April 30, 2014
- Contact Memphis Theological Seminary’s Admissions at 901-458-8232
For More Information, Contact:
- Dr. Stan Wood
Memphis Theological Seminary (901-458-8232)
- Dr. Milton Ortiz
Cumberland Presbyterian Center (901-276-4572)