In addition to the fulfillment donors receive through annual participation in the support of the Seminary, many are experiencing the satisfaction of arranging for future support of the institution through bequests and life income plans. This means of making future contributions is known as planned giving.
Planned gifts include gifts made through wills or life income plans such as, charitable trusts, charitable gift annuities, life insurance, and a variety of other programs. Most people find that the use of these planned vehicles results in a larger gift than was first thought possible, while at the same time enhancing the donor’s stream of lifetime income.
The benefits of life income plans include:
- the satisfaction of making an investment in life and ministry that will help provide future leadership for the church
- income for life (or, in some cases, a term of years) with the option of providing for a beneficiary as well
- a charitable deduction for income tax purposes in the year of the gift, with carryover privileges for up to five additional years
- reduction or elimination of the capital gains tax when funded with appreciated property held longer than one year
- freedom from investment and management responsibilities
- estate tax benefits
- the avoidance of probate and estate administration expenses
For more information about planned gifts consult your financial advisor or the Office of Advancement, Memphis Theological Seminary. The phone number is 901-458-8232. You may also use the email address: advancement@MemphisSeminary.edu.